Sunday 8 March 2015

Oregon part 2

I left the young camping place in the afternoon. I did the typical hike out day a few miles to avoid the vortex. Hike in the sunset in this burned area create some crazy image.


I camped with a few more hikers and whisky show up later. I tried to find a protected place for the wind and I finished sleeping uneven surface, with the feet much below my head, really bad night, wrong sleeping spot........

The morning bring us up to 3 finger jack with his peculiar shape and colours and after in Mt Jefferson wilderness I met one of the most helpful Rangers, also pct thru hiker, he explain us the situation in the area. It is weekend and the area is full of people, so gave us some advised where to camp tonight. He also explained us a little bit what it is the job of a ranger....pretty cool job.






Mt Jefferson
Mt Jefferson is really beautiful; it is like an island in Oregon, really green with some snow in the passes, in general quite crowded because of the weekend.   
I walked next day with whisky, he is a warrior hiker. It is a organization that sponsorship Army people that have been deploy for long periods, a little bit to distress them. I think very good idea and program.

One night we reach the little Crater Lake. The clearest lake ever. We met a family that invite us to their RV for dinner. We accepted. It was a restored streamline RV, beautiful, we did a fire had some beer and burger. We passed really good time. Again America and his hospitality is unbelievable.


Mt Hood

The climb to Mt Hood was quite hard, specially in the last part when there is sand all over and you can see the resort so close. Timber lodge is where the sunshine was filmed. It is a type of Swiss sky resort with the terrace facing the mountain. Many hikers there, I resupply, had pizza, a beer, recharge electronics and I kept going.  The night got me without a place to camp, finally some spaces available  in a ridge with some more people.
Hood had some difficult river crossing but nothing crazy. You leave the Mt Hood area to move into different ridges with not much water. I dry camped in the ridge alone well protected of the wind by a big fallen log, no mice, good night. The good news of the day is that I met magic stick and sister after 2000 miles. Wow.


only with a Magic stick 

The last day of Oregon is really spectacular, walking the eagle creek gorge and passing by the tunnels falls.  I was fancying have a swim in the river but seems like temperature are going down.


Eagle creek Gorge

I did it!! After 18 days I crossed Oregon. I saw the bridge of gods! I knew it I was in Cascade Locks, mile 2155, 2155 this is crazy. I remember now thinking that I will never survive the first week. I thought after about quit in cascade locks but as soon I so the bridges, sorry but I go up to Canada! Hopefully before snow arrives, I am now in a good position to finish.

In Cascade locks I sent all my food for Washington, all the morning packing food, from the market to the post office. I got my external battery, bye bye solar panel ( I hate you )and also I  swapped the sawyer filter for aquamira. I think I squeezed enough this summer.
I have been chasing an envelope with the Washington maps for the last 200 miles. I sent by normal post 4 months ago from San Diego but I forgot where I send it, so  I have been asking in all the possible places, finally I found it in the Cascade Locks port office !!! I have maps.


Washington I am ready ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment